AccountabilityThe Adara Group has two quite different parts, but one united purpose – to support people in poverty. The first part is an international development organisation, made up of non-profit companies and trusts spanning many countries, called Adara Development. The second part is two Australia-based corporate advisory businesses, Adara Advisors and Adara Partners. We have set in place governance and compliance structures for all our entities, to safeguard the work of Adara Development and ensure that the Adara culture, values and development philosophy are practised globally. All Adara entities have adopted uniform and globally applicable policies in relation to all aspects of operations. These include corporate governance, finance, child protection, employment, fundraising, communication, privacy and anti-money laundering. Where necessary, these have been specifically adapted to ensure compliance with local laws and respect of local custom. The administration and infrastructure expenses of the Adara Development are principally funded by the Adara businesses. This ensures that donations received from other donors are used for Adara projects in Nepal and Uganda, partner organisations, staff on the ground and specialist managers working in the USA on research, medical advisory and equipment collection programmes
- All Adara Development entities are audited annually under International Standards on Auditing. Adara Development (Australia), Adara Development (USA) and Adara Development (Bermuda), have been audited by HLB Mann Judd. Adara Development (UK) and Adara Development (Uganda) are audited by Somerbys and Markhouse Partners, respectively. You can access our latest audited Combined Global Accounts for 2019 here. All prior year audited accounts for each Adara entity are available on request. Please contact us.
- Adara Development (Australia) is a member of the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID) and adheres to the ACFID Code of Conduct, which defines minimum standards of governance, management and accountability of development for member non-government organisations (NGOs). The Adara Development (Australia) Financial Statements have been prepared in accordance with the requirements set out in the ACFID Code of Conduct. You can view our ACFID compliant accounts from 2019 here.
- We are very lucky to have had a wide range of financial supporters over the years. As at December 2019, we have received about about US$37 million (A$46 million) in donations since we began in 1998. Look through our financial summaries for the year ended 2019.
Adara Development (Australia) is a member of the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID), the peak Council for Australian not-for-profit aid and development organisations. We are a signatory to the ACFID Code of Conduct, which is a voluntary, self-regulatory sector code of good practice. We are committed to and fully adhere to the ACFID Code of Conduct and ACFID Fundraising Charter.
Complaints relating to alleged breaches of the code can be lodged with the ACFID Code of Conduct Committee at email@example.com. Information about how to make a complaint can be found at www.acfid.asn.au
ADARA DEVELOPMENT (AUSTRALIA) CONSTITUTION
- Constitution of Adara Development (Australia), a public company limited by guarantee.
CHILD PROTECTION POLICY AND CODE OF CONDUCT
- It is a requirement for all staff, volunteers and visitors to Adara projects to sign Adara Development (Australia)’s Child Protection Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy which sets out key issues in relation to child protection and meets international and local standards. Included in this document is Adara Development (Australia)’s Photo Policy. We ensure that images and videos from the communities we work in are based on consent and presented with dignity.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- The Adara Group is committed to ensuring that it and the persons who work with it maintain the highest standards of ethical conduct and professional behaviour. This Code of Conduct explains the standards of behaviour expected of all Adara Persons (see below) in their work for the Adara Group and specifies the Adara Group’s policy in key areas.
COMPLAINTS HANDLING POLICY
- Adara believes that receiving, considering and responding effectively to complaints from members, partners, donors, clients, beneficiaries and the public is important. To do this, we consider it essential that we have an effective mechanism for handling complaints, which is outlined in this Complaints Handling Policy.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST POLICY
- The Adara Group is committed to maintaining the highest level of ethical standards in all its dealings and places great importance on protecting the integrity of its decision making processes. The purpose of this Conflict of Interest Policy is to help the Adara Group to effectively identify and manage any actual, potential or perceived conflicts of interest.
- We do not condone violence of any sort and have agreements in place with all of our in-country partners to agree and comply with Adara Development (Australia)’s Counter-Terrorism Policy which meets international and local standards.
DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES POLICY
- Adara Development is committed to ensuring that we accurately represent our activities to all of the people we work with, our donors, our partners and the general public. This Development Activities Policy is a framework for Adara Development and our partners.
OPEN INFORMATION STATEMENT
- Adara Development, which comprises Adara Development (Australia), Adara Development (Bermuda), Adara Development (Nepal), Adara Development (Uganda), Adara Development (UK) and Adara Development (USA), is committed to being transparent in its work and accountable to its key stakeholders. We comply with Adara Development's Open Information Statement.
SAFEGUARDING POLICY AND CODE OF CONDUCT
- The Adara Group respects the dignity and basic human rights of people. Every person who represents or partners with Adara is expected to reflect these values in their professional conduct, regardless of who they deal with or where they are working. This Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct lays out the commitments made by Adara and informs staff, Adara Representatives, and Adara’s In-country Programme Partners of their responsibilities in relation to safeguarding. .
- This policy supports the commitment of the Adara Group to promoting and supporting a culture of corporate compliance, honest and ethical behaviour, and good corporate governance. Our Whistleblower Policy is established to encourage reporting of qualifying concerns regarding potentially unethical, unlawful or improper practices or behaviours, and provides protection from reprisal for Eligible Whistleblowers reporting in good faith.